Friday, June 18, 2010

Tea-tea....

Since I had a few days off this week (joy!) I decided to accomplish a bunch of little jobs. One of which being sitting with my Mom and going through our recipe boxes, to get rid of old recipes that I knew we never and will never make.I was very happy that we both got rid of a bunch (making room for new recipes!).

In a pile of things that I was going through, I found a pamphlet that I had brought home from working at our local tearoom, that I apparently just shoved in the drawer. (btw, our tearoom is the most and bestest fun place to work ever! the owner is beyond a generous person and is so enjoyable to work with.) 

While working there, I really learned a lot about different kinds of teas, but in reading this, I knew that this info about the exact health benefits was too good not to share.


My personal favorites are a good Rooibos, (which anytime you see a "Rooibos" it is naturally decaf), Fruit Tisane Tea (dried fruit, when you add hot water, it turns into hot fruit juice basically),  Assam, misc. black teas, Chamomile and Lemon Grass mix (good for relaxing and just good for you!) and flavored green teas. I say flavored because I'm not so brave as to drink it plain, I think it needs some kind of flavor... Lipton has a new Blueberry and Acai Tea that is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! My Mom and I have both noticed a huge difference in the way we feel. Go and buy that one for sure.

Now, enjoy.... and go see what you can get at your local Wegmans! ;) 


~Healing Herbal Teas~
Herbal teas were the first medicines. From an upset stomach to a good night's sleep, there are herbal teas that could help with almost anything that ails you. 
To sweeten herbal tea, add a teaspoon of honey maple syrup, or apple juice. Orange, lemon or lime peels also add a nice flavor to many herbal teas. The medicinal effects can however sometimes be reduced by adding milk or sugar.

Here is a list of popular herbs which have been used to help various ailments:

Chamomile:
~Soothes frazzled nerves 
~Lessens anxiety
~Can calm an upset stomach
~Anti-inflammatory effects

Lavender:
~Used to calm and uplift spirits
~Scent promotes elements of comfort

Cinnamon:
~Helps the body use insulin more effectivley
~Eases inflammation
~Boosts brain activity

Ginger:
~Helps head off colds
~Relieves nausea
~Clears sinuses
~Eases sore, stiff muscles caused by arthritis

Rooibos: South African Red Bush
~Helps relax and ease stress
~Promotes sleep
~Eases upset stomach

Peppermint and Spearmint:
~Settles upset stomach
~Aids in digestion

Lemon Balm:
~Eases congestion and stuffiness 
~Calms nerves
~Aids in digestion

Rosehip: (Berry-like fruit of the rose left behind after the bloom had died)
~High in anti-antioxidants
~Fights colds and flu
~High in Vitamin C

Rose Petals:
~Helps relax and ease stress
~Fights colds
~Scent promotes elements of comfort

2 comments:

emily said...

mmmmmmm...you're making me crave a good cup of tea. lemon balm or lavender sounds good. :)

Lisa said...

Your all class kid!