Andrew "Ando" Baiamonte

I decided to do a post on my Italian grandfather (who we lovingly called "Poppie"). I recently told a friend, that I wish I had a clearer memory of him, but we had to give him back to the Lord when I was just 10. It's so hard to try to remember what someone was like, when you are so young. Everyone always tells me what a kind and giving man he was, and that he was the humor of the family. When he heard of good news, he would always look and say "Oh Honey! That's worse than wonderful!"
His father came over from Sicily, Italy in the early 1900's with his family and they thought that they would coming to the land of plenty, however this was not the case. Unfortunately, my great-grandfather had to get a job mining coal for 12 hours a day, making only .25 an hour with which to support his wife and 7 children, and, when the Depression hit in the 1930's, they had to live on such funds.

During World War II, Poppie enlisted in the Navy as a Radio Operator First Class. After the War, he was honorably discharged , and was the only one in his family to go to College majoring in Business Management. A few years later, he met my blond-haired, green-eyed, Irish (Yah.... ;) Grandmother in an office that they both worked in.

They were married a short time later, and moved back to his home-town where he opened one of 2 restaurants that he owned (he was the chef, as he himself was an incredible cook). And, years later was able to get his brother started in the restaurant business.
He was such a beloved man,that I am sorry that we had to give him back to the Lord, before I got to ask him everything that now I would like to.He and my Grandmother were both saved through the testimonies of my Aunts and mother, so it is a wonderful thought to know he is in heaven.
Poppie (far left) and his cousins

Poppie and his father, Anthony
(Wasn't he such a cute little Italian man?)
(Wasn't he such a cute little Italian man?)

1 comment:
what a wonderful italian smile!
Amazing, Kaitlyn! I can feel from your words how you love your grandpa', and how amazing he was to be love that way!
He looked so happy and with joy of living in his eyes!WOW!
Oh, and your grandmà was so beautiful, some kind of beauty that left people brethless!I can understand why your grandpà fell in love with her :-D!
I would have had such kind of grandpa', but unfortunately I've never had great opportunity to know mine...they were in Sicily and I'm in Turin :-( ! But, I'm alive and well, so it doesn't matter :-D
You're grandpa's History looks like a romance, I loved it so much!The tipical american dream make reality! Praise the Lord!
But The most beautiful thing in all your story was that about how they were saved...it's a blessing! Is wonderfull to see how much Lord is great and how much He takes care of His people...He can wait for years, but the people He loves will finally become saved...
so, my friend, how was your day in shopping for forniture? I be
t you're exausted: you don't look the kind of person who buy the first thing she saw...that's true?
I'm happy you enjoy John 15...is my favourite...it truly open my heart and turn it upside down...it's able to moves me in the very soul.
Tonight I will read Joshua, I think my pride need a lesson or two about that thing...so I take it as a sign and I'll go straight to it!Thank you so much!!!
About Testa's? They're the personal blessing God sends to save me.
They come from Chicago, they're americans (Anthony is from italian roots) and are here to serve God.
He's a Pastor, and God used him and his family to show me how amazing Jesus is.
I fell in love with Jesus thanks to them, they patiently talk to me and explain all they know, they help me finding the answer for each question and doubt I had...I love them so much, they're like brother to me.
My friend, I'm so curious about the methods you mentioned...I need them! I'm so curious, but I'll wait till you post them...I wanna read all your complete impression about them, I don't wanna you to be in hurry 'cos of me, ok?
I'm so curious about Ray Comfort's blog...I will surely go to see it!My partner in business (and also friend since we were children) Is an atheist, so it can give me some ideas on how to use the Word of God to show him the truth about Him!Thank you!
Ops, I wrote sooo much too, but is such a pleasure talking with you :-D
Forgive me, I'm so talkative ... :-D
May God bless you and all your family.
Ale
p.s.
Do you like Gloria?I love her!It's a present from a friend of mine, Zoe, she named my pet that way :-D
Post a Comment